March 6, 2012

this is your LAST ISSUE

a little ironic what came in the mail today.

(speaking of weight loss magazines…)



…and you know what?
That's as far as it got opened.

My last issue of Runner's World
We're parting ways my short (yet-too-long) lived friend.
Although running and I said goodbye back in June, 
the beauty of "subscriptions" are…

they keep showin' up on your doorstep
without permission

I ripped open the top of that sucker just to make sure
I read that correctly.
Indeed, This is my last issue.

It didn't even make it out of the plastic.
I didn't even need to open it.
I knew nothing in there would benefit me,
not even a pretty picture.
The old is gone the new is now.
Maybe someday it will have a place in my future,
but that someday is a distant day.
Not now.


You know the funny thing is,
aren't runners generally "fit" to begin with?
Why do they need a weight loss issue?
Isn't the key to just… run?
Do we really need to activate the active even more?
No. The editors are just smart
They know that anyone will look at that headline,
and pay four dollars thinking they bought
the key to life, 
weight loss.
Even better, they have a perfectly toned and airbrushed model 
demonstrating their "weight loss" issue.
excuse me Runner's World but her belly button has been 
drawn practically 4 inches below her boobs,
that ain't the real deal. 
i-yae-yae.
Society.

here's to now,
here's to yoga,
here's to my unaltered bellybutton,
and here's to last issues,
C 


3 comments:

  1. so ironic! considering how many issues those magazines can trigger...
    wouldn't it be wonderful if one day we got a note from God that said 'this is your LAST ISSUE' and we'd know we only have one more issue to work through before the refining is done and we are finally perfectly joyfully whole. if only ;)
    - m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I canceled my Runner's World subscription last year - which is odd, because I should have canceled it in 2009 -- I had shoulder surgery for the 2nd time and was told not to run competitively for risk of doing permanent irreparable damage... That magazine helped fuel a competitive side of me... one that took the enjoyment out of running and caused me to fixate on things such as races ran, interval times, etc...

    I say it's incredibly good you realized it's negative impact on you.. and that it didn't take you long to put into action something to amend the situation... and yes, why is there a weight loss issue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. amen Dandelion Girl! Amen! Here's to health :)

      Delete