October 20, 2011

strong enough for...

it was a most glorious day.
I am not sure why,
but I woke up knowing it was going to be sunshine.
and it was.

another glimpse of me showed up today.
a quality of her that I knew was deep inside, but had been hidden.


I had just completed my challenge
given by my dietician every week.
today, it was a drink of blended goodness from Starbucks.
may I suggest the Salted Caramel Mocha Frappaccino?

I left Starbucks just about bouncing off the walls from
caramel, chocolate, espresso, a great counseling session, successful morning at work,
and the fact that I was about to go down to SoHo for an art class,
my favorite part of Manhattan.

After taking three steps down to the 6 train station,
 I turned around because something caught my eye.
There was an older African-American mother 
standing at the top of the stairs with her little one in a stroller. 
Businessmen and women were whizzing by left and right not paying her any attention. 

I did something that caught me a little off guard.
the fact that I even noticed her at all surprised me, 
after living with an eating disorder you become numb everything, 
even things right in front of your face that used to catch your attention.

I walked back up the stairs without even thinking.
whoa, who is this person? 
oh yes, it's me.
"Hey! Do you need help getting that stroller down the stairs?"
She just smiled real big and nodded at me.
And so I grabbed the bottom of the stroller,
Starbucks in had and 10 pound bag on my shoulder 
we slowly side-stepped our way down the stairs.

Everyone just continued to whizz down the stairs right by us in their own usual world.
I stumbled a little and about lost my breath, I was carrying a child.
The little girl in the stroller didn't even flinch.
she was holding onto the railing as we went down
singing, "Down, down downnnn."
She trusted me... she didn't even notice my size.
Her mother just said, "Uh Oh!" and didn't question my ability.
She didn't doubt me. and on we went.

I started laughing at the irony of the situation.
Here I am, just about the most pipsquweak girl on Lexington Ave.
and I am the one helping this woman carry her stroller down the stairs!
What's wrong with this picture?

It's sad no one else even cared to stop and help her with the simple task,
but I am glad that I had the privilege of lending a hand.
Because it showed me an instinct that I once had,
and proved to me that it was still there:
She was not lost
She was coming back
She was powerful
She was a caring young woman
She can be trusted
She can feel and smile
She was strong enough for someone else... and for herself.

strong enough,
C


4 comments:

  1. Chloe,
    I love this post... Don't let the ED win because who will help all those mothers in the future? Who will care enough to stop? You are empathetic and kind. We need you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep fighting. One moment at a time. I try to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I don't know how to put into words why, but I felt I needed to type... something

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat, thank you so very much. I enjoy reading all of the posts from you brilliant women so much! Keep staying strong as we all will stay strong. Keep fighting!

    ReplyDelete